Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Keratosis Pilaris



Keratosis pilaris (ker-uh-TO-sis pil-AIR-is) is a common skin condition that causes rough patches and small, acne-like bumps, usually on the arms, thighs and buttocks. Keratosis pilaris bumps are usually white, sometimes red, and generally don't hurt or itch. Keratosis pilaris can be frustrating because it's difficult to treat. Prescription medications and self-care measures can improve the appearance of your skin.

Though you may not like the sandpaper-like appearance of your skin, keratosis pilaris isn't serious and doesn't have long-term health implications. In fact, though some cases may persist, keratosis pilaris usually disappears by age 30.


I recently discovered that I have Keratosis Pilaris on my arms, back, chest, and thighs. One Natropathic doctor that I had seen a couple of years ago said that it was an omega 3 deficiency and another Natropathic doctor that I am seeing mentioned the possibility of it being a Vitamin A deficiency.

I am taking both Vitamin A and Omega 3s and still have not noticed a significant difference, unless I am not taking a high enough dose. Hmmm...

I have tried some home remedies that are working and would like to share it with anyone who may be trying to get rid or reduce the the appearance of KP.

Here is a list of the ingredients along with my regimen.

ACV

Water

Mix equal parts ACV and water in a spray bottle and leave in the shower

You can use this liberally to restore your body's natural pH balance. It also is a great deodorant and hair conditioner.

Food for your skin:

Nutiva Certified Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil ( GREAT STUFF) I have tried quite a few brands and this one by far is the most superior and tastes GREAT!!!

Body scrub ingredients:

Olive Oil

Himalayan Crystal Salt

Organic cane sugar

In a small container mix all the ingredients together. I used about 1/4 cup olive oil with about 2 tbsp of Himalayan Crystal Salt and organic cane sugar. Leave it in the shower. Make a small amount so that the oil does not become rancid.

My Concoction:


Olive Oil- 1 ounce

Sea Buckthorn-1 ounce

Jojoba Oil

Vitamin E oil-1 capsule

Primrose Oil-1 capsule

Mix all the oils into a small two ounce brown bottle and apply it 2-4 times a day.

My regimen:

In the shower gently exfoliate your problematic areas with the body scrub in a circular motion being sure not to rub vigorously so as not to irritate your KP. Then spray the ACV/water mix directly onto your skin and apply a liberal amount of coconut oil and massage the area.

If you choose to use my oil concoction great, but if not I believe the ACV and Coconut oil will work fine. It is just a little something that I wanted to try and it is working wonderfully. I apply this mix 2 to 4 times a day and it has only been 1 full day since I have done this and I already notice a significant improvement.


For all of you silver bullet fans out there, I hate to bust your bubble but there is no silver bullet. Doing one thing will not do. It is a combination of things and a good place to start is your diet. Properly hydrating your body and eating right is important. Eat as much fresh vegetables and fruits as possible, preferable organic. Eat grass fed meat whenever possible and avoid fast food like the plague. I know sometimes we bend, I am even guilty of it. Many people eat out all the time and wonder why they cannot see past their navel. Moderation is key. I understand not everyone can afford to eat organic but start small, remember baby steps. We did not get this way over night and it will take some time to turn things around.

To your health, Eleny






No comments: