Sunday, June 10, 2012

Takeing care of your hair the natural way

 

My Hair Do is From the Pantry;

Or How to Stay Lovely With Wholesome Products
Before venturing on the holistic path to wellness via homeopathy over 25 years ago, I was exquisitely chemically sensitive.    Compelled to examine the ingredients in the products I was using, I discovered that most of them included  unpronounceable and questionable ingredients.
At first, I looked to health food stores for goods that didn’t include chemicals and fragrances, but was disappointed to find that although marketed to the whole health industry, most were only packaged differently; not manufactured purely.

There must be methods that women used before the advent of the beauty market, I reasoned.  Where would a woman look for her beauty products if not in a store? …why the home!  And so  I began an exploration in  my pantry. When we step outside our comfort zone, vistas present.

One of my first considerations was  sugar and water  as a substitute for hair spray… When I was little I had a friend who had a doll with a dress that was stiff .  My friend told me the  dress had been  dipped in a sugar and water mixture that kept the fabric inflexible and in place. It had possibilities, but I  had images of swatting at yellow jackets  at a picnic  in a rigid  1950’s hair do. On to another idea.
Next, I considered a  cornstarch and water mixture.  The same image presented.   And at one point I whipped up egg whites and vinegar and tried to put it  through a misting bottle. ‘Just in case you’re tempted to try this;  don’t.   It doesn’t fit.

So after various trials and errors, I’ve distilled my methods to the few below.  You might try following my  tips that are natural, easy and fun and toss away the chemicals into the kitchen trash on your way to the pantry.  Here are the methods that have worked for me so far....

To learn more please visit  Joette Calabrese website here.

No comments: